7 Things On-Page SEO taught Me for SEO 2019?
SEO abbreviates for Search Engine Optimization is a scientific process that involves online visibility of your business website bringing quality leads and conversions. Search engines recognize and start indexing your business website based on the high-quality relevant content within your website as well as the authority and trustworthiness of your website content. Let me run through the various steps that SEO taught me for 2019 –
Keyword Research is a Long-term Investment
Keyword Research is the foremost and best part of building up your business website. They are a strong foundation for your content skyscraper. Both On-page SEO and Off-page SEO techniques are strongly based on this rich repository of keywords. So, let us head on to the task –
List of Keywords for your business website
- Seed Keywords
- Google Suggested Keywords
- Competitors’ Analysis
- Long Tail Informational Keywords
- User Intent Keywords
- Navigational Keywords
- Transactional Keywords
- Influencer Keywords
Make a rich repository of keywords that become the strong foundation of your content skyscrapers lining the web pages of your website. The quality time spent on keyword research is directly proportional to the wealth of content for your different On-page SEO and Off-Page SEO activities. Our next step is to start constructing our building – the content building!
What are the steps in creating Content SEO?
Content SEO signifies the process of making your content user-search-friendly as well as search-engine friendly. This means we build our content skyscrapers to invite the users who will find solutions to their pain points and reside in our content. This engages the search engines to pick our content more often to serve the users and quench their search thirst.
Steps in creating Content SEO
- Organize your content for easy navigability and readability by the user. Take help of the keyword research – the foundation for your content skyscrapers.
- Do not lose the originality of the content in an urge to make it SEO Content.
- Quality, Relevant and User Intent Content must be the motto of building content skyscraper.
- Include h2 and h3 heading tags and split your content into featured snippets – both user and search engines get attracted to featured snippets
- Content should be keyword optimized and no keyword stuffing allowed. Check the keyword density. Include every type of keywords from the list of keywords derived from our keyword research, based on user needs and intent.
- A content skyscraper can go from 500 words to 1800 words. It all depends on your business, products or services and solutions giving to your user.
- Split your content into effective featured snippets that can give quick solutions to user’s pain points
- Always aim for fresh quality content update. For a fresh content update – do continuous keyword research to analyze markets demands as well as competitors’ strategies.
Now, start building every business page’s title, meta description and URL structure.
How to come up with good Title Tag, Meta Description and URL Structure?
Search engines want to perform best when users search for answers. The performance of the search engine is directly proportional to the quality content picked up and displayed in the SERP result within few seconds.
The search engine algorithm starts its search in the world wide web with certain important checkpoints before getting that quality content for its users. Let us check those points –
Title Tag – Ideal title tag can be up to 65 characters. Frame the title tag starting with your main targeted keyword for that particular business web page. Then mention your brand name and location. It all depends on your business aim for that particular business web page. If more than one target keyword, then mention them and leave the location. Work out different permutation and combination and frame the best title tag that brings in quality traffic and conversions for your business webpage.
Meta Description – The next checkpoint is meta description which can go up to 120 characters- this gets displayed in the SERP results. Anything above this gets truncated and not shown. So how are we going to target this checkpoint for search engine and users to take action – that clicks the link to our website.
Start building your meta description with immediate help that you are offering to your users from your business.
Ideal Meta Description with 120 characters strength –
- Include target keyword
- Mention brand name, if you have not mentioned in the title tag
- Call to action words
- Entice the users with some offers, if any!
- Mention Location
- Include contact numbers
Build a meta description that is efficient enough to entice the user to click your website link and reach to their destination.
URL Structure – Search engine algorithms are fond of this checkpoint for quick fetch and display of SERP results and so the website visitors! Then how do we frame good URL structure-
- Include a keyword that defines particular business service or products represented by that page – target keyword.
- No Keyword stuffing
- Separate the words with a hyphen
- Keep URL length short and simple
- Use Canonical Tags
Now, let us scan our web pages for images. Why? Find out in the next step.
What you should know about Alt Tags?
Content is King – we all know. Content skyscraper hosts its visitors for a long time when it comprises of quality relevant text and images.
So, what is an Alt Tag? An alt tag is an attribute of an image that is added to the Image tag in HTML. When the image is not displayed for some reason on the website, the Alt Tag gets displayed in the Image Container. The website visitor is not lost while reading through your content. Alt Tag helps the search engines too, to understand what is the image about.
How to write Good Alt Tags
- Alt tag must describe the image.
- Alt tag should precisely explain the image with little detail, for example, if its product image – then include the product name and product Id with little detail about the image.
- Include keyword but no keyword stuffing.
- Keep your alt text length of less than 120 characters.
- Stick to the business aim of the web page that contains the image.
Why Schema.org is Important for your website?
A schema is giving information to search engine from your website content in a structured manner.
- Schema categorizes your website content and the search engine algorithm picks up each category relevant to the search query by the user and displays it on the zeroth position in the SERP result.
- org helps identify the images and content in your website, and describes them to search engine whereas a normal HTML website without schema, would display content and image as a package of information instead of segregating them to detailed information (what, when, why, where, etc.).
- Schema helps build knowledge graph for the search engine algorithm to easily escalate results on the SERP relevant to the query searched by the user.
- Helps the SERP results to be more accurate and present rich content that gives a quick view and solution to the user.
- When implemented in your website, Schema attracts quick traffic leading to quality conversions.
How Knowledge Graph works?
Knowledge graphs are direct answers to user queries and is displayed on the right side of the SERP results. Knowledge graph gives you specific information about people, place, things!
The people, places, things – consider them as entities. So, the Google Knowledge graph gathers information about such entities including
- Relationships with other people, places, things, professions etc
and displays in a panel on the right side of the SERP result. For example, when you talk about people, knowledge graph collects data of the entity with respect to Date of Birth, Origin, Profession, Organization that person is connected with, Status etc. Even Schemas play a major role in connecting with an entity type and further description
Build Voice Search Friendly Content Updates
Future search and respective SERP results are based on Voice!
“Hey, Google! How is the traffic today on way to reach my office”
“Alexa, play latest Bollywood music”
“Google, help me finish my homework”?!! :()
Search engine algorithms are evolving every moment. We need to update our business website content that connects with the user’s voice search.
Quick steps to Develop Voice Search Friendly Content
- Update your content with Long tail keywords – include conversational keywords and informational keywords
- Optimize your business with Local SEO
- Connect your content with answers that give solutions to questions and queries that are asked by your target audience or customers
- Include keyword phrases in your content that approach your target audience’s research mode and decision making moment
- Prepare your website to listen to voice search and display relevant results from the website content.